Monday, July 22, 2013

Falling off the Wagon

Even though I've still been exercising lately, I have had difficulty finding the motivation. I do believe in some ways that is what makes me qualified to be the Average Guy who gives out fitness advice. I understand all too much the struggle that staying motivated to exercise is and not even to stay fit as much as just not to become a total blob of adipose tissue. The other day I started an Insanity video and stopped after the warm up and stretch. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm not sure what has been causing this lack of motivation but, it is very present in my mind when it comes time to exercise.

I know part of my psyche wants to just blame it on the hectic schedule of summer. I do know that traveling, which I have been doing plenty of this summer, really throws me out of my routine and makes the first days back home difficult when it comes to exercise. I tend to not take relaxing vacations and instead spend hours walking mile after mile exploring new cities. I also like to stop and check out a new bar which isn't always the best choice to keep your calories in check while on the road. I would argue though that life experience and travel are an important aspect of happiness and the cost of a few calories of extra beer are totally outweighed by the memories and stories I can share with friends and family.

Despite still eating healthy I've also been more lax on my diet lately. I have a weekly meet up with friends on Wednesday where we play games and we all bring some snacks and beer. We've vowed to bring healthier snacks because the temptation of an open bag of chips or cookies is too difficult to resist. I also went on a bit of a Doner kebab binge while on vacation. They are not known for being the healthiest snack but they certainly are tasty and cheap. I do think that the holidays and while you are on vacation are the times to not be strict on your diet but, it is important to always remember balance and moderation.

I think it is always crucial to ask yourself why when you are losing motivation. If you can find the reason you'll have a much better chance of getting yourself back on track. Part of me just wants to blame it on the summer heat but I know that is a fairly lame excuse. Sometimes I think I need to change my fitness routine but overall I'm happy with it and the results I've been having. Once I find the answer I hope to be able to get back on the wagon. Maybe I won't find the answer and I'll just hop back on anyways. I do know that despite my lack of motivation to exercise I will continue on because I know quitting is not an option.

And I don't want to look like a total slob at the beach!





No comments:

Post a Comment