Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Random Road Workout 1: Deadlift, Row, & Press

Working out away from home is always a challenge. It is difficult to find the time let alone the energy or the place to workout. I'm currently back in West Virginia where I grew up and I don't have access to very much workout equipment. I do have a straight bar (not Olympic sized), 50/25 lb metal plates, 30/15 lb dumbbells, and a chin up bar. I do have plenty of time to work out on this trip so I've decided to do some improvised workouts. Monday was one of the few days during my trip with a dry and warm forecast so I decided to take my workout outside.

I wanted to just work out with the plates and bar so I did deadlifts, bent over rows, and presses. I also decided to do one set of barbell squats because, I was getting tired doing the deadlifts. I did one one set of deadlifts with just the 50 lb plates on to warm up and then did 3 sets with the 50 and 25 lb plates on the bar. I did 5 sets or rows and 5 sets of shoulder presses with the plates and straight bar. I also added in one set of the barbell squats to get a fifth set for my legs. Overall it was a decent workout and as far as I can remember the first time I've lifted weights outside. I really enjoyed being under some sun but that might also be because I don't see the sun very often in Germany.

The only negative I found with the workout is that the ground isn't perfectly solid or flat outside. It wasn't a problem but it could be dangerous trying to move a heavier weight during a deadlift. I never felt unsteady but the ground felt so much different under foot then lifting in a gym.




No comments:

Post a Comment