Thursday, August 1, 2013

Naked Juice No Longer Natural

After settling a lawsuit Pepsi will no longer be calling Naked Juice natural. I haven't had a Naked Juice in over five years but, back when I was less concerned about consuming liquid calories I would occasionally have one. I didn't even know that Pepsi bought Naked Juice back in 2007. In retrospect the purchase doesn't surprise me at all as I still have memories of bottles of Naked Juice flowing out of the food co-op I worked at during that time. Despite the relatively short shelf life they rarely expired and, we regularly received new shipments.

The reason Naked Juice will no longer be labeled as natural is because the added vitamins are in reality synthetic. Pepsi stated that the drinks will continue to be labeled non-GMO and is currently enlisting a third party to verify the claim. I think the important aspect to take away from all of this is the open ended and confusing usage of the word "natural". If you google the word natural the first definition given is, "existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind",  which would lead one to believe that virtually all packaged food shouldn't be labeled as such. I think anyone who has spent time learning about how to eat healthier or how to properly diet knows that avoiding packaged food is a good first step. I feel that if a food item is claiming that it is "natural" one should be cautious about consuming it. Wouldn't it look silly if you walked into the grocery store and found every piece of produce labeled as "natural"?








No comments:

Post a Comment