Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Exercise Progress Update - February 2013 Edition

This month I've been doing a P90X and Insanity hybrid. I previously completed P90X and then I did P90X2 so I was looking for a new challenge. I knew from watching the Insanity videos that I didn't want to exclusively do the program because it is very thin on resistance training and very heavy on the cardio but I did want to up the intensity of my HIT workouts. Overall I've been happy with the hybrid program and my results but sometimes I feel like I might benefit from exercising just a little less. I have to modify some of the moves in Insanity since they involve so many push up variations and I don't want to do push ups two days consecutively. I will publish a review of P90X, P90X2, Insanity, and my hybrid program in the coming months.

Since I have felt at times like I was possibly over training I decided to eliminate some of the arm work from my resistance days. Although I don't have a problem with some isolation work I do feel that the P90X program actually wastes time with so much of an emphasis on just working the biceps and triceps. I'm pleased with how it has been working and my arm strength and size haven't decreased. I'm also still on a diet where I'm switching between low and moderate carb depending on my activity level so I'm glad that I'm not losing muscle. I do feel after completing P90X/P90X2 and now going back through a modified P90X that I am ready for a change and hope to get a gym membership soon so I can get back to lifting weights and get away from some of the body weight training. Since I might not get a gym membership I've also been designing a body weight routine which I may use.

Next month I'll be back in the United States for a few weeks so I'll be doing an experimental workout routine using the very small amount of weights I have at home. I will be utilizing the scenic beauty of West Virginia to do some hiking and will probably not be doing much if any HIT cardio. I'll post more about my experiment next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment